Naim has always been associated with firsts. The first high-end CD player- the CDS. The first high-end hard disk music player - the HDX. The first high-end BMR speakers - the Ovator. The first performance-upgradable high-end audio streamer - the NDX. And now the NDX has its first offspring - the ND5 XS. The ND5 XS takes the DNA of the NDX and concentrates it in the slimline XS style package. With an ND5 XS you can stream audio from a UPnP server, discover internet radio, connect your iPod, iPhone, iPad or USB storage, and even listen to conventional digital audio sources. Simply connect the ND5 XS to your home network, plug it in to a spare amplifier input, and the new world of streamed audio is yours.
The ND5 XS is a condensed NDX, but while for the rest of the world that term might imply something missing, there's no functionality cut from the ND5 XS. It incorporates exactly the same NDX digital and analogue audio hardware and signal path, and features the same connectivity. It offers the same variety of control interfaces too - front panel buttons, remote handset or iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch app. It also has the same complement of inputs, outputs and network capabilities. And it goes without saying that the ND5 XS can offer the same potential for extraordinary music from every one of its inputs and sources.
Streamed audio is a hi-fi revolution and the ND5 XS unlocks its potential. It provides easy access to all the audio delivery formats that have suddenly made music in the home exciting once again. Through its wired or wireless network connection the ND5 XS can play literally thousands of internet radio stations. The ND5 XS is also fully Apple Authenticated meaning it can play iPad, iPod or iPhone-stored music, digitally for optimised sound quality, via its front panel USB socket. And via the same socket, the ND5 XS can play audio files stored on USB memory sticks. The ND5 XS can play audio files, including iTunes libraries, stored on a computer or on network storage over UPnP™. It can play the full range of audio file and stream formats at up to 24bit/192kHz resolution: WAV, FLAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF, WMA, MP3, M4A, MMS, AAC, AIFF and Ogg Vorbis. The ND5 XS will also handle M3U and PLS playlists formats and it supports gapless playback. Finally, an optional FM/DAB tuner module that integrates seamlessly with the ND5 XS control interface means traditional radio is also not forgotten.
For more conventional external audio sources the ND5 XS provides three independently selectable digital inputs to enable S/PDIF audio from CD players, computers and other digital audio sources at up to 24bit/192kHz resolution to be played. The three digital inputs offer a different connection socket option; optical TosLink, coaxial phono and coaxial BNC, to provide both versatility and optimised sound quality.
Choose to control
The ND5 XS is as versatile in use as it is in its applications. Its three user interfaces provide alternative methods of control - each one appropriate for different situations and personal preferences. It can be operated from its front panel buttons, from its remote control handset or by using the free Naim n-Stream iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch app. In each case, control is simple, intuitive and satisfying. System automation features also allowing the ND5 XS to integrate with the DAC or any connected Naim preamplifier or CD player, offering centralised control via the n-Stream app.
- UPnP™-enabled to stream audio files from any hard disk server, such as HDX or UnitiServe, network attached storage (NAS) or laptop/computer via the home network
- vTuner 5* full service Internet radio
- Optional FM/DAB** module
- Front-panel USB port for replay of MP3 player/iPod and USB-stored audio
- Apple authenticated enabling digital output from iPod for ultimate quality iPod control, charging and front-panel content display when connected to front-panel USB port via standard iPod digital connector
- Three 24bit/192kHz-capable S/PDIF inputs for external digital sources
- Multiple intuitive control interfaces: front panel, remote control handset and n-Stream
- iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch control app
- Internal architecture for hi-res audio playback up to 32bit/192kHz over the network
- Ethernet network connectivity for reliability. Wireless also available for convenience.
- Streams/plays WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, AAC, Windows Media-formatted content, Ogg Vorbis and MP3 files from any suitable UPnP™ device or USB-connected storage device
- Full Naim Multiroom functionality including Party Mode
- Gapless playback available on all lossless file formats and some lossy formats (exc Ogg Vorbis and Windows Media-formatted content)
- Digital output on 75ohm BNC connector
- Switchable DIN/RCA Analogue outputs
- Wired remote in
- Wired remote out for preamplifier volume control and input switching, also for CD player and DAC control
- Performance upgradeable with addition of external XPS or 555 PS power supply or external
- DAC digital to analogue converter
- USB mini-b connector for software upgrades
- SHARC DSP with Naim proprietary 16 times digital filtering and buffering
- Naim proprietary 16 times oversampling and digital filtering
- Linear power supply with 200VA toroidal transformer with four separate windings for digital,
- DPS, audio clock and analogue sections
- Seven pole analogue output filtering
- Optical isolation of data control lines
- Ultra low noise triple-regulated power supplies
- Ground selector switch for optimum performance
- High quality Burr Brown PCM1791A DAC
- Naim reference non-magnetic, low-resonance low microphony case
- OLED display for high contrast and easy visibility
- British design and build
**In markets supporting DAB
Technology for music
Like the NDX, the ND5 XS is one of the most technically advanced and accomplished of all Naim products. The use of numerous innovative techniques for electronic signal processing and isolation ensure that each digital audio data stream is delivered to the ND5 XS outputs with maximum fidelity. The ND5 XS uses the same RAM buffer and master-clock jitter removal technique of the Naim DAC. It employs the same Burr Brown digital to analogue converter chip as fitted to the HDX hard disk player, and all the oversampling, filtering and signal management techniques that have brought Naim to the forefront of digital music in the home. Component selection and layout is entirely optimised for sound quality and the XS style case construction helps minimise microphony by providing a rigid non-resonant foundation for the electronics. Like every Naim product, fastidious attention to power supply noise and regulation is a fundamental element of ND5 XS performance. A custom-wound mains transformer, oversize smoothing capacitors, independent power supplies and multiple regulators, along with painstakingly meticulous PCB layout and earthing topology, ensure minimal power supply noise.
And the result of all this extraordinary technology is extraordinary music reproduction. Connect an ND5 XS to your existing audio system and the world of high resolution audio downloads, UPnP™ streaming, and the vast resource of internet radio are yours for the listening. And it's a world where music from any source will live, breath and satisfy - completely.
For even better performance the ND5 XS can be upgraded by the substitution of an outboard XPS or 555 PS power supply, or the addition of a separate DAC digital to analogue converter.
Note: Only current "Classic" style XPS power supplies can be used with the ND5 XS. Older "Olive" style XPS units are incompatible and cannot be used.
|S/PDIF||1 x coaxial BNC, 1 x coaxial RCA, 1x optical TOSLINK|
|USB type A||Front panel socket for iPod, iPhone, iPad and memory sticks|
|UPnP||Wired Ethernet (RJ45) or Wi-Fi|
|Antenna Inputs||DAB/FM, Wi-Fi (802.11 g or n at 2.4GHz)|
|Tuning Range||DAB (Band lll and L Band), FM 87.5-108MHz (FM/DAB version only)|
|Load Impedance||10kΩ (min.)|
|Analogue Outputs||DIN and RCA, 2.1V rms at 1kHz at full level (Fixed)|
|Output Impedance||32Ω (max.)|
|Frequency Response||10Hz - 20kHz, +0.1/-0.5dB|
|THD + N||<0.02%, 10Hz to 20kHz at full level|
|Phase Response||Linear phase, absolute phase correct|
|Digital Outputs (type)||S/PDIF, 75Ω BNC|
|Power Supply||XP5 XS, XPS, 555 PS|
|Other||DAC digital to analogue converter, Hi-Line, Power-Line, long-range WAV antenna|
|Remote Control||Infra Red (RC5)|
|Remote Input||1 x rear panel 3.5mm jack (RC5 modulated/unmodulated)|
|Remote Output||2 x rear panel 3.5mm jack (RC5 modulated/unmodulated)|
|Rear USB||For updates only (USB mini-B)|
|Audio Formats Supported||WAV, AIFF and FLAC (up to 24bit/192kHz ) ALAC (up to 24bit/96kHz) Ogg Vorbis (up to 320bit/s) Windows Media-formatted content-9 (up to 320kbit/s) Playlists (M3U, PLS) MP3, M4a (up to 320kbit/s)|
|iRadio Service Provider||vTuner 5* full service Internet radio (Windows Media-formatted content, MP3 streams, MMS, Ogg Vorbis)|
|Multiroom||Master: Will stream native quality WAV, FLAC and AIFF (up to 24bit/48kHz), ALAC (up to 16bit/44.1kHz), AAC and MP4 (up to 16bit/48kHz) files only Client: Will play 320kbps MP3 quality only|
|USER CONTROL INTERFACES|
|Front Panel||Nine button matrix|
|Handheld||Remote handset included and optional n-Stream app for iPod, iPhone and iPad devices, downloadable from App Store|
|AMX and Creston||Intstaller customisable reference apps available|
|Supply Voltage||100V, 115V, 230V; 50 to 60Hz|
|Power Consumption||60VA (max.)|
|PRODUCT CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES|
|Certifications||Apple (Made for iPhone), vTuner Premium|
|Licenses||MP3, AAC, DAB, Windows Media|
|Dimensions||70 x 432 x 301mm (H x W x D)|
|Shipping Dimensions||200 x 590 x 500mm (H x W x D)|
Here is a selection of reviews that have been written about this product. Where PDF downloads or online links are available to us, they are featured.
AVForums - April 2013"It is unconditionally stable, beautifully built and capable of exceptional performance with both lossless and high resolution material."
Hi-Fi Choice - November 2011"The way the ND5 XS makes music simply makes you feel good to be alive"
MANUALS & DOWNLOADS
Here are all the items available for download that relate to this product. If the information you require is not featured, please contact Naim Customer Support.